Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: February 2, 1914 and February 2, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Monday, February 2, 1914

Saw Mrs. Spitznogle [her future mother-in-law] this noon when I went up to get tickets for the show Wednesday night. Was also uptown this afternoon. 

Nora Spitznogle: Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Cold, but sunny day. Stopped at Target after work for sundries and also found a great mirror for the new wall space. 

If she was smitten with Paul, I imagine that it was quite exciting to run into his mom! I fell down an internet rabbit hole when trying to find out what show Grandma Nora was purchasing a ticket for. 

I found this little tidbit in the Logansport Journal Tribune on February 2, 1914. 
It's hard to imagine Purdue and Indiana University combined as one school - who would the schools have such an intense rivalry with? 

I have to point out the sub-headline...scantiness? It sounds like IU wasn't properly dressed. 

If you're from Indiana, you might be surprised to see IU called Indiana State University in this article. Since state and university are not capitalized, I assume they mean that it's the state university for Indiana. 

IU has been called by several names in its history,  State Seminary and Indiana College are two of them. From the 1820s until 1889 they were in a political battle with Vincennes University over who was the legitimate state university And Indiana State wasn't officially called that until the 1960s.  

I didn't accomplish much this evening besides researching the above article and addressing envelopes for the Saint Valentine's Day cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment