Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: February 1, 1914 and February 1, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Sunday, February 1, 1914

Was a little colder today. Was to 7:30 and 10:00 o'clock Mass and also to Vespers. Went up to Fettig's and we played 500. Mamie [sister], Marina [?] Paul [Spitznogle] and I played euchre. 

Nora Spitznogle: Monday, February 1, 2021

Cold today - I wish I'd given myself more time to warm up the car. I rushed home from work to start addressing my Saint Valentine's Days cards that were delivered today. 

I can't believe that Grandma Nora went to two Masses and Vespers again this Sunday. Pretty sure she went straight to heaven. I'm not familiar with 500, but it seems to be a cross between Euchre and Bridge. I think that Florence, who Nora has mentioned before, is a Fettig. Mamie is Nora's older sister and Paul would become her husband in five years. 

I joke that I learned my numbers by playing Euchre, and I don't think that's far from the truth. It is definitely the official game of the Spitznogle family. 

I've hosted a Saint Valentine's Day party for at least 35 years. Last year there were at least 100 guests over the course of the night. My house was wall-to-wall people. The thought of it makes me shudder now that we're in the midst of the pandemic. Since I won't be hosting a party this year I decided to spring for some fancy custom cards, especially since I don't have tales of travels or anything exciting for my typical annual letter. 

I got the notice that the cards were delivered and I was happy to see the box on my porch. I couldn't believe it when I scanned the card - I'd made a grammatical error. I knew that it would drive me crazy to send them so I fixed the error and reordered the cards. My sister, Ann, had given me a 50% off coupon that I was able to use again. That lessened the blow - now it's like I'd paid full price. I took advantage of having the envelopes and started addressing and putting the stamps on. Sheesh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment