Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: February 17, 1914 and February 17, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Tuesday, February 17, 1914

Anna [sister] went to the Club tonight and Mamie [sister] and I were sewing and mama was talking about when we were young. 

Nora Spitznogle: Wednesday, February 17, 2021

I spent 30 minutes shoveling snow away from my car to get to work. Missed Ash Wednesday Mass because of snow. 

I would have loved to hear Grandma Nora's mama talk about when the girls were young. Barbara Rosfeld Bauer would have been 50 years-old. The youngest, twins Herman and Gertrude, would have been 16. I wonder if she was feeling nostalgic for the days when the kiddos were younger? 

I'm still waffling on the thought of if there was an actual building that housed Anna's club, or they met at someone's house. I couldn't find mention of anything in the papers. 

I feel like a snow-whiner, but sheesh! I shoveled myself out of my snow nest on the street and gunned the car through the drifts. The main roads weren't too bad. Work was busy with agencies still closed - lots of re-routing of food. 

I turned on to my street after work only to get stuck in the intersection - my street hasn't been plowed and it's a two-lane rut. I was able to turn around, but I had no hope of getting to my driveway. 

I drove around and got an iced tea at a fast food joint - I don't think that's breaking my Lenten promise.....I hung out in a parking lot playing word games on my phone until it was time for Mass. I drove around the church a few times, but there was no place to park. The church relies on a lot of street parking and it was non-existent with the snow. 

I finally threw in the towel and parked behind the Red Key. Since is was Lent and Ash Wednesday, no whiskey or cheeseburger. I walked through to let them know I was leaving my car and I fear that I left a black-cloud trail. I was tired and frustrated. 

The four-block walk home didn't help. I was cold and NO ONE along the way had shoveled their walks. I walked on the busy 52nd Street and would leap into a snow bank when I saw a car. 

I know I shouldn't complain - I've got a sturdy warm place to live, a reliable car (except in a snow storm), a wonderful job, and fabulous friends and family. I guess I'm allowed to wallow occasionally. 

1 comment: