Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: February 16, 1914 and February 16, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Monday, February 16, 1914

Will [brother] was at Chicago Saturday and Sunday and was telling us about his visit this evening. Worked on my centerpiece awhile and our ? about to retire 9:00 PM. 

Nora Spitznogle: Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Woke up at 5:00 AM to check the weather. Typically my process includes standing in my street in pajamas and boots, squinting to see how the traffic is moving.

I'm pretty sure Grandma Nora's brother, William, was still living at home at this point. He was 25 and wouldn't marry until five years later. The 1910 census showed him living with his family and his 1917 draft card has his address listed at the house that his family lived then. I wonder how many young men put their lives on hold in that era because of the rising tension in Europe? 

I found a blurb about William's 1920 marriage to Lillian Whitehead - they took their honeymoon trip to Chicago. I wonder if they visited some of the places William did in 1914? 

Boy did we get some snow overnight! My typical weather check involves me putting on my snow boots and coat and standing in the middle of Winthrop Ave, watching to see how the traffic on 52nd Street is moving. No need to do that this morning - and I'm not sure that I could have anyway. 

After a quick chat with our CEO we decided to close for the day. I got busy informing everyone, fed the cat, and took a quick nap. I was feeling the side effects of the second Shingles-prevention inoculation - achy, chills, and a stupidly-sore arm. 

I kept up on emails and work stuff between bouts of shoveling snow. My unscientific measuring shows that we got 12 inches of snow and there were 21 inch snow drifts in my driveway. I don't know why I pulled my car up so far in my driveway last night - more snow to scoop! 

It was nice to chat with neighbors who were also out shoveling and we were all smart enough to take breaks - the high today was just 16 degrees. 

I had a had a hair cut scheduled for 6:00. I got out of the driveway just fine, but got hung up on the street. A couple of nice folks gave me a push to the side of the street, but there was no way that I could navigate the whole thing. Uggh. 

I didn't realize until bedtime that it was Fat Tuesday. I didn't whoop it up, eating and drinking the things I'm giving up for Lent. Goodbye booze, fast food, and sweets. 


No comments:

Post a Comment