Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: February 15, 1914 and February 15, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Sunday, February 15, 1914

Was real nice out this morning but it started to snow just about noon and we had quite a snow storm. It is windy out now and the snow is drifting. 

Nora Spitznogle: Monday, February 15, 2021

Had early doctor's appointment, then straight to work in preparation for the forecasted snow storm. The team was able to get extra food to the shelters. Heavy snow started at 2:30.

Both Grandma Nora and I had weather on our minds. 

I started the day by getting my second Shingles-prevention shot, but was feeling like I should be at work the whole time I was at the doc's. My blood pressure was high - I was blaming the stress of being away from work, but my wonderful Nurse Practitioner reminded me that it's not like work is an isolated event for me. She took my BP one more time and it was still high. The last two visits I started out high, but it was lower when I left, but the pattern was there....so I'm going to start on a new BP medication, which I hate to do, but transcribing Grandma Nora's diary has reminded that she she struggled with high BP as an adult and died of a stroke when she was just 57. So, I agreed to the medication. I do a decent job of exercising and staying active. I could stand to lose 10 pounds, but I'm not sure if that will change my BP situation, but that's where we are today. 

Enough of that....I high-tailed it to work to see what I could do to help. The team had it all under control, of course. We delivered extra food to the shelters and residential agencies in case we can't get there tomorrow. We got all of the staff and volunteers out the door by the time the heavy snow started. 

I shoveled the walks (mine and my neighbor to the south) and hunkered down for the night. I heated up a nice dinner of prime rib and potato leftovers from last night, with some steamed carrots to balance it out. 

The evening was spent obsessively checking the weather forecast and news reports.  

No comments:

Post a Comment