Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 28, 1914 and January 28, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Wednesday, January 28, 1914

Had some of the girls over this evening. We had just a real good time. Heard some news about myself that I'd never heard before. 

Nora Spitznogle: Thursday, January 28, 2021

Started the day at the dentist. Sunny on the drive to work. I took advantage of Trash Day Eve to pull some stuff from basement.

Finally! A juicy entry from Grandma Nora! I wonder what the gossip was about? She she doesn't seem mad - I think she was a little excited by the news.  

At first I was disappointed that Nora's daily musings have been so benign. I thought that a 19 year-old would share more of her feelings and angst. 

I'm guessing that she worried about her siblings or parents reading her journal. I know that I'm circumspect in recording my day, not wanting to share work issues or family worries and such. 

I didn't hear any gossip about myself today, dang it. I did have a nice visit at the dentist office. No cavities or other dental disasters and it was nice to catch up with everyone. 

Work was good - I got a lot done. 

I'm riding the wave of getting rid of stuff. My basement is unfinished; block walls and a concrete floor. One third of it is more of a crawl space with a dirt floor. It's the part under my bedroom and bathroom which contributes to how chilly the floors are in those rooms. 

I can't quite stand up in that part of the basement and have mostly ignored it for the 25 years I've lived here. There is a huge oil tank against one side and a shelf along the opposite wall. The shelf has been lined with paint cans and other junk since I moved in. I pitched a dish strainer, scrub brushes, and other not-useful stuff. I filled two boxes with cans of dried up paint that I'll take to tox drop. Now I have room to store my my tool box and things that had been lining the stairs. 

Look at me go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment