Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 24, 1914 and January 24, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, January 24, 1914

Was a little colder today. Went up to the church this afternoon. Was uptown with Anna [sister] tonight. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, January 24, 2021

I was an EME [eucharistic minister] at 10:30 Mass today. Today's Mom's birthday - we had two short chilly visits. 

Grandma Nora and I both went to church, although as I've mentioned before, we had wildly different experiences. Not only was the Mass I attended at Saint Joan of Arc said in English, I was able to be part of distributing communion. I wonder if Grandma Nora ever pictured such a thing? Here is a nice history of Saint Joseph's, where Grandma attended, and a photograph of Father Kroeger, who was the priest at the time. 
I love that Mom is living in such a lovely apartment at Marquette Senior Living and that she's been safe during the pandemic, but it's hard not to be able to spend any length of time with her. Mostly because she's being careful and partly because I'm around so many people on daily basis. I think I'm uber-careful, but it would break my heart if I passed COVID-19 to anyone, especially my parents. 

I stopped by the fancy grocery store after church and picked up a beautiful looking wedge of cake, fried chicken and mashed potatoes, rolls, tea roses, and two newspapers. It was cold today - 24 degrees (as you can see from my foggy glasses) so our visit was short. We are so lucky that Mom lives in a ground floor apartment and has a patio - I can't imagine trying to have a conversation three floors away!  

After our visit I was feeling antsy so I walked around the Fashion Mall and had an early dinner. When I got back in my car I realized that I'd forgotten to give Mom the papers, so I ran back to her place. It was great to see her twice in one day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment