Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 16, 1914 and January 21, 2021

Nora Bauer, Friday January 16, 1914

Had lovely weather again today. Was downtown this afternoon and saw Mrs. Collins. The Golden Rule had a fire last night and it looks pretty bad today.

Nora Spitznogle, Saturday January 16, 2021

Big beautiful fluffy snowflakes fell this morning. Lazy day. I went to a drive by birthday party before working at the Red Key this evening, busy cooking. 

Since Grandma Nora has mentioned the weather the last two days, I wanted to see what lovely weather in January in Logansport, Indiana was. The Pharos-Reporter for that day was most unhelpful...fair weather tonight, colder tomorrow. 

The big story here for me is the fire at the Golden Rule department store. I remember hearing about a fire at the store as a child - as it turned out, there was a second fire in the 1960s. Here is a delightful series of photographs and descriptions by one of the families that owned the Golden Rule. I remember visiting the store as a child and loving it. 


I had a delightfully lazy day, staying in my pajamas as long as I could. Since it's not a good idea in the midst of the pandemic to gather in groups, drive by celebration parades have become a thing. I was delighted to be invited to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday. I didn't decorate the car in light of the falling snow, but I did don my 'Happy Birthday' silly glasses. It was nice to see Marita and have a short through the car window visit. I worked at the Red Key - we were busy with food orders - I'm also the cook, I was hoppin' all night, which I enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment