Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 1, 1914 and January 1, 2021

Nora Bauer: Thursday, January 1, 1914

Was to 6:00 & 9:00 o'clock Mass and also to Vespers [Saint Joseph's Catholic Church, Logansport, IN]. Went to the Ark [movie theater] with Lena. Mary was over for supper and then we went to the Colonial [movie theater]. Saw Mr. and Mrs. Barnes with the baby. 

Nora Spitznogle:  Friday, January 1, 2021

I attended 10:00 Mass [Saint Joan of Arc, Indianapolis, IN] and served as a Eucharistic Minister. Back home for a nap and watched Birdcage on television. I went to Winterlights [at Newfields art museum] with Schaun [friend] and we had dinner - corned beef and cabbage  - at Aristocrat after. 

The Masses that Grandma Nora and I attended would have been very different experiences for each of us. In 1914 Mass was still recited in Latin and Grandma Nora would have probably been wearing a mantilla (head covering). She most certainly would not have been welcome on the alter during the consecration of the Eucharist, much less allowed to distribute communion. While I was not wearing a head covering, I was wearing a cloth mask in deference to the COVID-19 pandemic (which I am more than happy to do). 

I'm impressed that Grandma Nora attended two Masses and vespers and equally as impressed that she went to two different movie theaters. The films in 1914 would have been "silent" - most likely accompanied by piano or organ music. A way different experience than I had today, watching a 24 year-old movie featuring a gay couple, on my smart television - with rabbit ears! - in my bedroom.  

In 1914 there were three Catholic churches in Logansport. They have since been consolidated to one, All Saints Catholic Church. I need to do some research, but one of my grandfathers - I need to see how many greats - made the bricks for St. Joseph's Church.  

No comments:

Post a Comment