Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras #TwoNoras


My paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1914, 1916, 1919, and 1920. None of the years of the pocket-sized books match up to the weekdays of this year, so I'll start with the earliest. Nora Bauer would have been 19 years-old at the start of 1914 and living at 125 Helm Street in Logansport, Indiana.

Nora was the fourth of six children of Felix Bauer (saloon owner) and Barbara Rosfeld Bauer (homemaker). She was living in her family home, although she did contribute $5 a month ($130 in today's money) to her room and board. I'm still sorting out where she was working at the time.

 Interestingly, the 1910 census four years earlier, recorded the then-15 year-old working as a stenographer in a lumberyard. 

My intention is to transcribe her notes as best I can, with an occasional [bracket] to add some context. I will try to describe my day in the same amount of words that she used. I am 59 years-old at the start of 2021 and living in the Meridian-Kessler neighborhood of Indianapolis, Indiana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment