Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 16, 1915 and January 16, 2023

Nora Bauer: Saturday, January 16, 1915

Rained almost all day today. Gertrude and I went to church tonight. Anna went to see "Blue Bird." 

Nora Spitznogle: Monday, January 16, 2023

Off work today. Took Mom to doctors appointment then we joined the MLK, Jr. Day celebration in Whitestown.

Rain in January just sounds cold and yucky. More church for Grandma Nora and her younger sister Gertrude. Older sis, Anna went to see a play. The write up below would not have made me want to see it...."transcendental pantomime" is not a selling point for me.  







Second Helpings was closed today in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday. It's fun to have the day off, but it's weird to not be having a party at the Farm. 

I took Mom to a doctor's appointment this morning and was gobsmacked. I should have done some research, but I hadn't gone to any of Mom's dermatology appointments and I hadn't heard the diagnosis that she had melanoma and we were visiting a plastic surgeon. I was caught off guard and it didn't help that the surgeon was thinking out loud about whether he would move skin around on her face or do a graft on her cheek. 

I like to pride myself on being able to handle medical things, but I got a little woozy and had to leave the room for a few minutes. 

We went down to the lab for presurgical blood work and a chest Xray. 

J.R. texted that he'd arranged for a fried fish and fries buffet at LA Cafe in Whitestown (just a few miles from Dad's farm). Mom and I headed there after we finished with the tests. Beth and her husband, Troy were there, several of Dad's friends, J.R.'s coworkers, neighbors, and Uncle Phil (Mom's brother). 
Mom in front, Nora, Beth, Uncle Phil, J.R.

It was great to laugh and play Euchre and tell stories.  

It took Mom to her house and got home late, smelling like fish - just like the old days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment