Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 1, 1915 and January 1, 2023

 Nora Bauer: Friday, January 1, 1915

Went to 6:00 Mass this morning and worked until noon. Paul and I went to the CBL of I dance this afternoon and was over for supper. We played 600 after supper. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, January 1, 2023

Left Red Key Tavern around 1:30 AM and drove to Mom's to take Ann and Tim to airport then back to switch cars. Slept for four hours. Went to Winterlights this evening. 


Grandma Nora was a devoted member of Saint Joseph's Catholic Church in Logansport, Indiana. She started the year on the right foot by attending Mass. Nora's grandfather made the bricks used to build the church. The three Catholic parishes in Logansport combined to form All Saints Catholic Church which meets in the former Saint Joseph's church. Click here to read more about that.   



Nora and Paul started the year off on a fun foot also. The Catholic Benevolent League of Indiana dance sounds like an elegant affair. I wonder what Nora wore to the dance? 

I also wonder who was at Nora's family's home for supper? Would her papa's bar be open on New Year's Day? 

I took my youngest sister Ann and her darling husband, Tim to the airport bright and early this morning for their flight back to Phoenix. Their visit was fraught with mishaps. Ann tripped over a poinsettia display at the grocery store before they even made it to Mom's from the airport.  Ann broke her elbow and got a big goose egg and cut on her forehead we got to spend overnight in the hospital. It was fun to have them around for Christmas, but their flight home was cancelled several times and they finally left six days later than planned. 

It worked out perfectly for me to pick them up after my Red Key shift and fetch them from Mom's. They had her vehicle packed and ready to go - all I had to do was deliver them! I got back to Mom's in time grab her just-delivered newspaper and have a nice chat. 

I slept for a bit before I went to 10:30 Mass and then visited my fiend Don in the hospital. I puttered around and made a pot of turkey chili and froze portions for upcoming work lunches. 

The last several years I've visited the spectator light show at our museum at least twice a season - once with friends and once by myself. My ticket this evening included a chance to visit the second floor of the Lilly mansion and a glass of bubbly. It was a great way to ring in the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment