Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: November 14, 1914 and November 14, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, November 14, 1914

Went to Monticello today. Mrs. Hombeck met me at the station. Was also over to her house. Came right home after I got in town. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, November 14, 2021

Snowed today. Got to be part of a fun recording at the Vogue Theatre. Celebrated Tammy's birthday at Hayes Carll show at HiFi this evening. 


I'm guessing that Mrs. Hombeck is the same woman that Grandma Nora met the last time she was in Monticello. It sounds like Nora didn't make her typical Saturday night trip uptown. 

I had a glorious day. First I got to be part of the Tonic Ball choir. We recorded a beautiful version of "We Are the World" on the iconic Vogue Theatre stage. You can see the finished product here. You can find me in the choir on the left side - which I guess is Stage Right - second row. I had a blast! 

The fun continued. I'm a big Hayes Carll fan. Here's an interview that I did with him in 2008 and the preview of that show where I admit my love for him.  I first saw him a few years before that, opening for Robert Earl Keen at the Music Mill (no longer open). I introduced myself to Hayes and we chatted in the back of the room for about half an hour. It's been so much fun to follow his career. During the pandemic he's been doing some virtual live shows and posting some fun videos. 

I love this photo of Tammy, Hayes, and me after a June, 2016 show. 

What a fun way to celebrate Tammy's birthday! It was weird to be seeing music inside, but so great! In light of the pandemic, Hayes didn't do any meet and greet, otherwise I could have added to my collection. His new record, You Get it All, was recently released and has been playing constantly on my record player. 

I had a great evening and got to finally meet Misty, a Facebook friend that I love interacting with - she's hilarious and keeps it real. 

Here we are with our tee shirts from the talented opening act, Caroline Spence.  

What a fun day this was! 



No comments:

Post a Comment