Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: December 19, 1914 and December 19, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, December 19, 1914

Someone got into the saloon last night and took about six dollars in change. Coated some of the candy tonight. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, December 19, 2021

Blank calendar except for finishing writing for Indianapolis Monthly. Of course I procrastinated and wound up burning the midnight oil. 


Oh! Big excitement at Great-Grandpa's saloon last night. Six dollars may not seem like much, but it's $175 in today's money. That must have thrown the family for a real loop. 


I wonder what kind of candy Grandma Nora made? 

I'm so excited - I'm writing two pieces for Indianapolis Monthly, which has been on my bucket list, although I never dreamed it would be about food. I've been to sample the two food items that I've been assigned and have written copious notes. Now I just need to whittle each one down to about 150 words. I've had all day to do it, which means that I've mostly puttered around today avoiding the computer. 

I finally buckled down after dark and got them finished and submitted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment