Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: October 17, 1914 and October 17, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, October 17, 1914

Made some blue prints today today. Was up town this afternoon. Saw Chris, Will, George & Coon tonight. Finished my pillow cases. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, October 17, 2021

Spent the day at the Farm with sisters and Mom. Schaun, Adrian, and Cousin Kelly came to help with attic. 

There were three generations of Conrad Spitznogles - nothing confusing there! I've always heard Dad speak of Uncle Coonie, which would be his dad's brother. Although Uncle Coonie also had an Uncle Conrad, that I think was also called Coonie. Whatever generation this was, I'm sure that Grandma Nora was thrilled to run into brothers/uncles of her beau. 

We started going through things at the Farm. I pulled down the rickety garage attic steps and got what I could, but my fear of heights and the lack of people to hand the things to slowed me down. Schaun and Adrian and Kelly were on their way home from the Colts game and were kind enough to tackle the attic and had it emptied in minutes. 

There was a box of my high school things up there - I'm sure they were put there 42 years ago and were long forgotten by me. 

The cover for a report about astronauts. 

I was very excited to find this album of family history that I'd done for a project. 

It looks like I didn't know [Felix] Alois Bauer's wife's name at that time - Josefa, sometimes written as Josephine. I can't find any mention of her family names. I hope to visit the cemetery where they are buried soon. 

Speaking of Germany, I found my journal from the summer that I visited Germany with my maternal Aunt Rita and Uncle Eberhard in 1978. I took a side trip to visit Kassie - Kathy as she was called in high school. Each entry is close to this one....we would get lost and walk and walk and walk back to her host family. 

Going through Dad's things is very emotional. The shoes and hats are the saddest to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment