Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: October 16, 1914 and October 16, 2021

Nora Bauer: Friday, October 16, 1914

Chas. Kramer died this afternoon. He had been sick with typhoid fever for not quite two weeks. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, October 16, 2021

Busy day! Park reading, picked Annie up from airport, saw friend play in metal band this evening.  

Charles John Kramer was Grandma Nora's maternal uncle, although he was only nine years older than Nora. 

These days it's wild to think that people died of Typhoid Fever. Between better sanitation and antibiotics, it's rare in the United States. The two times I visited Tanzania I had been vaccinated for Typhoid Fever and went armed with a does of strong antibiotics. That said, I was obnoxiously careful about what I ate and drank. 


I took the evening off from working at the Red Key and had a lovely day. 

I started out at the Dan Wakefield Park, joining other folks who were reading sections of Dan's book, Under the Apple Tree, aloud. 

I'd read the book when it was rereleased a few years ago, but I'll admit to just skimming it. I wound up reading three rounds. Reading out loud in front of others, let alone the man who wrote the words is terrifying. And I was blushing wildly during the naughtily bits. 

I have a new appreciation for the book and look forward to finishing where we left off.  

Nora and Dan

I left the reading to pick up sister Ann at the airport. She's in town for the week to kick start the process of going through Dad's things. 

We stopped at the grocery store, and spent the evening starting the going-through-things process and getting her settled in our old bedroom. 

I first met Kassie in 4th grade and she was a great influence in kicking my shyness. I started at Purdue in 1979, post-graduation and was there for three semesters and out for three years. 
During that time Kassie helped me get a job at Benihana, where she was the bookkeeper. I think we were both 20 years old. Gerard Ganaden was a busboy and terrific guitar player. He's an even better guitar player now. It was fun to see him in action! 
I'm not sure that I've seen him since 1983, but here we all all, in a bar on the east side of Indianapolis. 

What a fun Saturday I had! 

No comments:

Post a Comment