Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: July 19, 1914 and July 19, 2021

Nora Bauer: Sunday, July 19, 1914

 Paul & Susie, Teresa, and Aunt Kate were here to spend the day. This afternoon we walked out to Minneman's. Paul and I went driving after supper. Had some rain. 

Nora Spitznogle: Monday, July 19, 2021

Another night of sleeplessness. Worked downtown today. Managed to do two loads of laundry and defrost the refrigerator and so some laundry this evening. The mail has been overwhelming. 

I still can't figure out the Susie and Teresa connection. I've searched ancestry and through newspapers of that era and can't find a connection or last name.  We know who Paul is - Spitznogle,  Grandma Nora's beau and Kate is her aunt, Uncle Valentine's widow. I wonder how long of a walk it was to the Minneman's? I really want to take a day or two and map out and walk the routes that Grandma Nora would have. I always smile when Nora and Paul get to go on a drive. 

I tossed and turned again last night. I ate decently, no booze, and I exercised....I'll keep that going and we'll see what happens. 

People have been so sweet - I've learned so much about how to support friends in times of grief by what people have been doing for me. Almost every day I come home to flowers or soup or pie or whiskey or pasta for Second Helpings at my door. 

Today there were eggs from a friend's backyard chickens, rice and pasta for Second Helpings, and a bouquet of flowers. 

And more mail. I've had such a hard time opening cards - they are so thoughtful and people are sharing memories and Dad and I just love that people are taking the time to write. And I love every single one of them. And they make me cry. Partly because Dad LOVED getting cards. After his heart surgery last year he had me count them and arrange and rearrange them on the mantel. The more elaborate ones earned a place on the hearth. He did the same with Christmas cards, even crafting a long piece of wood with a slot to display even more. 

I'm opening a few each day, but as you can see, Tilly Cat is getting nervous about how high the stack is getting. I'm going slow, because I truly am savoring each one. 

There was a squishy envelope in my mail basket that I opened as I was walking in the door. I can't even describe how blown away I am! A woman that I've always admired - Claire - works for School on Wheels, is a wonderful writer, storyteller, supporter of Second Helpings and artist - made this for me. 

She made it. 

For me. 

I love that she chose this photograph to transfer and emborder.  In the last decade I'd gotten in the habit of spending Veteran's Day with Dad. We enjoyed the parade in Indianapolis and felt so bad for the sparse attendance that we'd stand near the start and when all of the entries had passed by, we would run across the park to cheer for the same floats and people marching again. Of course we would eat anywhere that was giving veterans a free meal. 

The picture is from 2018 after 8:00 A.M. Mass at Saint Joseph Catholic Church in Lebanon. I slept 2.5 hours after my Saturday night Red Key shift and raced to church to surprise Dad. I loved how happy it made him that I'd kept our Veteran's Day tradition going. 

Bonus: Dad is wearing Paul's WWI hat. Dad's parents - Nora and Paul married just a few weeks after Paul returned from the war (sorry for the story spoiler!). 

I'm so grateful for all of the time and effort people have made to comfort us with cards and calls and hugs and eggs and soup and food and plants and flowers and texts.  This tribute was so out-of-the-blue I was gobsmacked - in a great way. It will have a very special place in my home - it already does in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment