Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: June 30, 1914 and June 30, 2021

Nora Bauer: Tuesday, June 30, 1914

Mr. Funk was buried this afternoon. Gertrude and I went out walking and landed at Courtney's. Had a good time. 

Nora Spitznogle: Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Wrote, rewrote and tweaked Dad's eulogy and practiced it until I was hoarse. Decided what to wear for funeral tomorrow. 

Mr. Funk was a prominent citizen of Logansport. There were dozens of articles signing his praises after his death. I love how much information the obituaries of this era where - I learned that he was the father-in-law of Mr. Barnes (Grandma Nora's employer) sister. 
Nora's younger sister, Gertrude graduated with Adelaide Courtney, so I'm guessing that's who they went to visit. 

Today was low-key. I was in a slight panic about what to wear to the funeral so I grabbed all of my black dresses and took them into Marigold so I could see myself in the three-way mirror and get the opinion of fashionable women that work there. We landed on a black tank topped by a loose cowl neck dress and a longer jacket. I always say, why wear just one Marigold dress when you could wear two? 

I spent the day writing the eulogy and reading it out loud and tweaking it. I was trying to keep it under five minutes, but it's closer to seven, even with cutting out chunks. I kept practicing until I didn't need to look at my notes too closely. 

I tried to go to bed at a sensible hour, but sleep is eluding me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment