Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: May 29, 1914 and May 29, 2021

Nora Bauer: Friday, May 29, 1914

Herman got a fountain pen just like the one I got him from Paul, so I took mine back and gave him cuff buttons. Was to singing class tonight and saw the proofs. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, May 29, 2021

Slept in and puttered and napped this morning. Had fun at John David's graduation party, visited with cousins, took lots of photos and then raced to work at the Key. Unseasonably chilly. 

How fun that her beau, Paul, and Grandma Nora purchased the same gift for her little brother. I'm sure Herman like the cuff links also. Nora's record of her cash account shows that she spent a total of $4.75 on gifts for Herman and Gertrude - that's over 40% of her weekly salary of $11.00. 

In today's dollars her salary would equal about $300/week, or about $15,600/annually. Not much, really. That said, her expenses were low, even with paying her parents for board, that only equalled less than $4,000/annually in today's dollars. 

She did a good job of saving. At the end of 1914, she had $450 ($11,700 in 2021). She also had about the same amount of money invested in bank certificates. 

I wonder what proofs she saw at singing class at church? 

Nephew John David's high school graduation party was delightful. I had fun chatting with cousins and friends. 

Cousin David Shepler and I both turned 60 within days of each other. 
Another one of Nora's grandchildren, Jim Spitznogle (also 60) with Monica, one of his children, and one of his grandchildren. Nora's grandchild, great-great grandchild, and great-great-great grandchild. How cool is that? 

Two of my three siblings and two of Nora's grandchildren, Beth Spitznogle Portish and J.R. Spitznogle.....and me! 

Parents of the graduate, my brother J.R. and his beautiful wife, Anna Cox Spitznogle. 

The graduate, John David Spitznogle and his proud slightly older sister, Molly (Mary Elizabeth) Spitznogle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment