Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: May 27, 1914 and May 27, 2021

Nora Bauer: Wednesday, May 27, 1914

Herman and Gertrude graduated tonight. They gave a play The Chaperone and it was just fine. After the play we had a little lunch. 

Nora Spitznogle: Thursday, May 27, 2021

Worked downtown at Second Helpings today and did yard work this evening. I should have cleaned the house tonight, but I successfully avoided that. 

Grandma Nora's twin younger brother and sister graduated today - they were only 16. I love that St. Joseph's tradition at the time was to have the graduates stage a play. Gertrude had one of the main parts. 

 I do love that the Irish maid was named Nora in the play. I always joke that when I was growing up in the 1960s and 70s the only Noras in plays or books were the spinster aunt or the upstairs maid. i

I worked at Second Helpings today - meetings, data entry, and grant research sucked up most of the work day. I was walking out the door when I realized that the giant dock garage door wouldn't close. Luckily, it was just a tripped breaker - that I can fix. 

I mowed the front yard and a tiny sliver of the back when I got home. It's exciting to see my container garden popping up shoots. Most of the sweet corn has germinated, as have spinach, carrots, arugula, kale, and cat grass. The tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, and pumpkin plants are holding their own, although a critter had been digging in the pots. I'm growing cotton and peanuts again this year, because it's so dang fun. Last year I harvested one cotton ball and a handful of goobers and felt like I'd done something really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment