Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: May 14, 1914 and May 14, 2021

Nora Bauer: Thursday, May 14, 1914

Uncle Val died this morning at 9:15 A.M. Mama and I were over there tonight. He looks so natural. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, May 14, 2021

Actually had an offsite work meeting today. Tried to mow the grass this evening - it went terribly awry. Uggh. 

I get the feeling that Uncle Val was a favorite of Grandma Nora's. This was the era when people were "laid out" at home. My dad remembers that Nora was laid out in her coffin in the living room. Can you imagine sleeping and eating and such with your dear dead relative in the next room? 

This blurb was in the evening paper that day.  It contains a wealth of information that will help me fill in some blanks for Great-Grandpa Felix's side of the family. And a clue to the Iowa Bauers. It's fun to know that Valentine was a bartender...his brother Felix owns a tavern. 

I did giggle about the "aged Mother." Great-Great- Grandma Susannah Messerschmidt Bauer was 80 at the time. She would outlive most of her children. 

My work day was just fine - had a out-of-office meeting for the first time in over a year. 

I was actually looking forward to mowing the front and back yards so I'd be free to plant my garden tomorrow and enjoy the rest of the week. I only have 1/3 of an acre...it doesn't seem that big until you're cutting the grass with a push mower. 

I have a pretty steep hill in front yard and a bunch of the oil spilled out when I was going downhill. Of course it billowed an impressive plume of white smoke and smelled like, well, burning oil. I let it rest, added more oil, and it fired right up again....even smokier. I parked the damn thing in the back yard - I was afraid it might catch the garage on fire. 

I resorted to doing laundry. Not very much excitement for my last Friday night in my fifties. 


No comments:

Post a Comment