Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: April 18, 1914 and April 18, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, April 18, 1914
Was very warm and windy out today. Went up to the bank this afternoon and saw Mrs. Spitz [future mother-in-law]. Gertrude [sister] and I went to town tonight. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, April 18, 2021
I was EME at 10:30 Mass, then I drove to the Farm to fetch Dad. We picked up Kassie in Indianapolis and drove to Batesville. 
It occurred to me the other day that Mrs. Spitznogle, Paul's mom and Grandma Nora's future mother-in-law, might work at the bank, since Nora is always seeing her there. I spent an hour searching through the newspaper archives and didn't find anything. 

Her husband and Paul's father, Micheal died in 1909. The 1910 census lists her as a farmer. The 1920 and 1930 censuses list her as not having a job. Of course, non of that rules out her working in a bank in 1914. 

Lots of driving for me today. After Mass I drove to Lebanon to fetch Dad, back to Indianapolis for Kassie, and on to Batesville. Kassie and I explored the Romweber Market and explored the latest work at her house. We fetched Dad from where he and Sally had dinner in Oldenburg and reversed the driving order of this afternoon. 

I enjoy the Batesville visits, but I don't enjoy driving at all. Where are the self-driving cars and space cars that we were promised? 

No comments:

Post a Comment