Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 4, 1914 and January 4, 2021

Nora Bauer: Sunday, January 4, 1914

Was very bad today. Louise, Florence, Margaret Schnitz [cousin] and I were typing for Sr. Augustine today and we had some good candy. Paul also brought me a dandy box of Dolly Varden's. 

Nora Spitznogle: Monday, January 4, 2021

Unseasonably warm day - 40s. I am back at work after taking most of last week off. My day was full of Zoom meetings - mostly with people that I work with. Housekeeping consumed the evening. 


What made me giggle with delight is that the cousin, Margaret Schnitz, would eventually be Paul's second wife, after Grandma Nora's death. Margaret would have been 17 years old, two years younger than Nora. I'm guessing that Sister Augustine was a member of Holy Cross Sisters that served Saint Joseph's School from 1863 - 1973. Since it was a Sunday, I'm sure that church was involved, but Grandma Nora doesn't mention it. 

It's clear that Grandma Nora and I share the love of sweets - she mentioned candy twice in her 32 word entry for the day. I had fun doing a bit of research on Dolly Varden Chocolates. It looks like they invented the cherry cordial. I did not inherit the chocolate-covered cherry gene - it's good to be able to pass up at least one type of candy. I love the idea of Paul wooing her with a box of chocolates. 

I snapped my photo above during a Zoom (video conference call). Masks and sometimes headphones are part of my work uniform now. My desk (table) is now in what used to be our conference room - we all needed to spread out from our open office space. Now there are only six working in a space that used to hold 18. Another six of us have moved to the conference room. Meeting rooms and storage spaces have been turned in to offices and folks work remotely as often as possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment