Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 30, 1914 and January 30, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Friday, January 30, 1914

Was to the dance tonight. Mary, Chris, and Joan (?) were there. So was ?. Gee it is fierce now though it is raining. Came home in the buggy. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, January 30, 2021

I didn't take my pajamas off until time for work at the Red Key, but that didn't stop me from doing some work in the garage. Busy night.

I made the photograph of Grandma Nora's journal extra big in case anyone can decipher the names. I did a quick search of the Logansport papers to see if I could find mention of the dance. I was just as curious about the weather and the buggy. 
I clipped this from the next day's paper. I doesn't mention Logansport specifically, but it looks like the same storm that hit Indianapolis and Marion. Both cities are about an hour away from Logansport. It sounds like it was a doozy - rain, sleet, and snow. Check out the second paragraph in the article above - poor Joseph Walsh died by just picking up a telephone! 

When Grandma Nora said "the buggy" I assumed that it belonged to her family. Did they have horses? Where where they kept? 

My day was decidedly less exciting, although it snowed a lot this evening. I spent the morning and afternoon at home, continuing the cleaning project, making a pot of turkey chili, and rearranging the garage, tucking the mower and other summer things in the back and bringing the snow shovel and ice-melting salt to my porch. My garage is not connected to the house and was built in 1930 and is a little rickety. I fear that a storm like Grandma Nora experienced would have toppled my garage. 

I worked at the Red Key this evening. We were busy! The popular restaurant a few doors down was closed due to COVID-19 concerns, so a fair number of their customers came in. I'm the waitress, cook, cashier, and dishwasher. I can't remember when I've felt so over-whelmed at the Red Key. Luckily, most people were patient. We really slowed down at 8:30 when the snow started falling in earnest. I have a steep driveway and my car wasn't able to make it up the hill when I got home. Thankfully I was able to part on the street.  

No comments:

Post a Comment