Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 20, 1914 and January 20, 2021

 Nora Bauer: January 20, 1914

Was uptown this afternoon. Got my centerpiece finished tonight. It is snowing out a little now. 

Nora Spitznogle, January 2021

Inauguration Day! At work at 6:00 A.M. wearing Chuck Taylor's and pearls. Watching festivities this evening. 

It was really hard to recap my day in the measly 16 words that Grandma Nora described hers, although I am ever curious about the centerpiece. 


Today was very exciting. Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th president of the United States and even more fantastic was that Kamala Harris was sworn in as the first-ever woman Vice-President. 
Pre-pandemic I was assembling my outfit as a suffragist and planning to march in several parades last summer, in honor of the centennial of woman finally getting the right to vote in 1920 - although not all women of color were not granted the right until 1965.  

One hundred years later we finally have a women serving in the second highest office in the nation - I didn't realize how emotional that would be for me. 

Kamala is a fan of the Chuck Taylor shoes and is often wearing pearls to honor her sorority - Alpha Kappa Alpha - the oldest historically Black sorority in the country. I'm thinking that I need to wear my Chuck's more often - I felt light on my feet all day! 

I really enjoyed the celebration program this evening. In light of the pandemic the usual Presidential Balls were not taking place. The celebration included music, historical context, speeches by the VP and President and fireworks.  

What a lovely and historic day this was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment