Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 13, 1914 and January 13, 2021

Nora Bauer: Tuesday, January 13, 1914
It is now 1:00 A.M. Just arrived home from the Columbus Club Dance. Had a real good time. Was also to the Colonial this evening. They had some good Bicycle Riders. 

Nora Spitznogle: Wednesday, January 13, 2021
Another hectic day at work. I got my hair cut - it's been 12 months since my last color and I'm loving the grey. I took Mom for her first COVID vaccine. 


Oh, Grandma Nora - what a fun evening you had! On a Tuesday even! I see where I got some of my energy from. I'm always up for going out and if I can attend two events in the same evening, all the better. 

I couldn't find any mention of a Columbus Club in the 1915 Logansport papers. I'm guessing she meant the Knights of Columbus Club, which would make sense for a nice Catholic girl to attend a dance there. 

I was having a hard time deciphering the last words in Grandma Nora's post - it was Bicycle Riders. I was a little confused by the capitalization of the words, and was searching for a candy or a group. Once I found the lineup for the Colonial Theatre and saw that it was a vaudeville act featuring comedy gymnasts, bicycle made a little more sense. I tried to find some information on The Three Falcons, but no luck. 

My day was surprisingly emotional. Work is filled with pandemic planning and logistics, which was making me feel slightly overwhelmed. I was a bit late for my haircut, but Sarah was ever-gracious. After living through the awkward months of not coloring my hair, the end is in site! I've now been color-free for 12 months and looking forward to growing all of the color out - I'm so close! Many of my Bauer-Spitznogle cousins have gorgeous grey hair  - I can't wait! 
Mom got her first round of the COVID-19 vaccine this evening - look at her beautiful hair blowing in the wind! I'm so relieved that my parents have both started the vaccine round that I sat in my car and cried while waiting for Mom (I wasn't allowed to go in with her). 

Mom and I went to grab a sandwich afterward - I was leery about eating in, but we were the only ones in Panara, and they were well masked and had lots of plexiglass in place. I haven't been able to see Mom with the exception of a few patio visits since February!  

2 comments:

  1. Indpls News 15 Feb 1916, p 5 The Three Falcons appeared at the Lyric: "The three Falcons, comedy aerial ring artists, close the bill with a snappy act, which shows much gymnastic skill." https://newspapers.library.in.gov/?a=d&d=INN19160215-01.1.5&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Ebay has a poster with photographs!(there are 2 pages; The Three Falcons were on the 2nd page https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1925-PAPER-AD-Curtis-Animal-Circus-Act-Three-Falcons-Acrobats-12-X-17-Poster/154011448875?hash=item23dbcc362b:g:occAAOSwODZfEkX0

    ReplyDelete