Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: November 1, 1914 and November 1, 2021

Nora Bauer: Sunday, November 1, 1914

Mabel and Will were home for a few days. Paul and I were out this evening. Helen also had her friend there. 

Nora Spitznogle: Monday, November 1, 2021

Worked downtown at Second Helpings today. Put the garden to bed, for real this time - harvested cotton, peanuts, and carrots this evening. 

Grandma Nora's entry for today is interesting. I when I first read it, I was sure that she was talking about her brother William and his wife. But I was wrong...again...William married Lillian Whitehead in 1920. 

I searched the papers for a mention of William Bauer and a Mabel and came up with zippo. Maybe Grandma Nora will reveal some clues in the upcoming days. 

It sounds like Grandma Nora had a nice evening with Paul and Helen and her friend. 

I worked today. Admittedly I've been in a fog - I really need some time off - but I clearly did a terrible job of putting the garden to bed for the season. I pulled up a little further in the driveway than usual and noticed that I had a new cotton bole and the peanut plant was still there and found some more green tomatoes and a red one on the plant. Sheesh! 

Here is the bounty. Next year I want to remember to keep the cotton on the stems, I think they will look cool in a vase. The peanut crop is nothing to write home about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment