Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: August 25, 1914 and August 25, 2021

Nora Bauer: Tuesday, August 25, 1914

Worked this morning till 11:30. Then Paul came down to the office and we went to the reunion. Had a good time dancing quadrilles. When to the Colonial in the evening. 

Nora Spitznogle: Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Worked this morning 'til 11:30. Then spent the afternoon at the Indianapolis Indians baseball game. A lovely afternoon of beautiful weather, baseball, and cousins. I won the pot. Red Key after. 

Apparently it was the season for family reunions. The papers noted dozens on this day in 1914 in Logansport. I'm guessing they went the Minneman family reunion - Paul's side of the family. The quadrille dance morphed in to square dancing over the years- which the Spitznogle family loved! 
I'm happy to know that I'm from one of the finest families in Cass County! 

I'm not sure if it was Paul's brother or uncle that elected vice-president. The treasurer, Jacob Minneman, is the father of yesterday's bride, Mabel. 

I wonder which show Nora and Paul saw? 
I had a fun day also. Brother J.R. entertained work clients and friends at the Indianapolis Indians baseball game this afternoon. Global Plastics rents the whole deck and stocks it with food and beer and such. It was great to be out in the fresh air!
It's always fun to see Uncle Joe Shepler - he married Grandma Nora's daughter, Joan (1930 - 1995 -pronounced JoAnn). Their son, David (far right) and I are just a few days apart in age. J.R. is between Uncle Joe and David and I'm....well...the one who's not a man. 
We were all unnaturally fascinated by the grasshopper. I guess he did need to hop pretty far to get up there. 
I won one of the pots - no skill needed, it's all based on the batter who is up when it's your turn with the money cup. I gave my winnings to the server who was taking care of us. 

The game was fun, but a little sad. Dad was such a fixture at this event and I know that J.R. enjoyed sharing the games with him. 

As is tradition, we all wound up at the Red Key for cheeseburgers and laughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment