Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: June 27, 1914 and June 27, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, June 27, 1914

Did some tracing today. Anna Gertrude and I went up town tonight. Got home about 9 o'clock.

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, June 27, 2021

10:30 Mass, met with funeral home, toasts and storytelling with siblings and friends at Farm after. 

This was one of the entries that I read to Dad on Wednesday. Was that only four days ago? Seems much longer. Dad and I had fun imagining his mother and aunts uptown with throngs of people and the shops open and the excitement of Saturday night. I'm sure they were dress up. We wondered why Mamie didn't go with them - maybe she was with friends or enjoying a quiet night without her sisters. 

I didn't sleep well or long, but I made it to 10:30 Mass. There were some people that I wanted to tell about Dad in person, plus there was a reception for Father Guy, who has been transferred to another parish. And I knew that there would be sandwiches. I really needed a sandwich. 

Next stop was the funeral home where Dad had preplanned most of the details, including making his own casket. We needed to decide on what day we'd like the celebration to happen and a few other details - including a burial plot since Dad hadn't purchased one yet. 

After that we all headed out to the Farm for storytelling and toasting. The siblings and their spouses and friends and neighbors and cousins and Mom all sat around the picnic table - the laughter was much appreciated. 
With my siblings permission, I announced his death on Facebook - Dad loved the social media attention and social media loved him. 

J.R., Mom, and me.

Here is what I posted on Facebook - although a family friend already had. Etiquette says that the family should announce it first. I think it's gotten to all of the relatives first, but still...

I’m sad to report that our dear Dad died peacefully at 7:11 yesterday evening.
 
All of his kiddos were with with him and we were surrounding with prayers, love, and stories. 
It’s all pretty shocking- he went to the hospital Wednesday morning...and was diagnosed with COVID-19 that afternoon. And yes, he was vaccinated. 

He sure loved all of you and the love that you showed him on social media. He always asked how many “hits” he got. He got a real kick out of people that recognized him from Facebook. 

Dad’s favorite sound was hearing his children laugh. I hope that you’ll share Dad stories with us- we’re always ready to reminisce and laugh. 

I’ll post the information about the services as soon as I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment