Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: June 25, 1914 and June 25, 2021

Nora Bauer: Thursday, June 25, 1914

Had a birthday cake today. Gertrude made it and it was just fine. Gertrude and I went to singing class tonight and was talking to the sisters. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, June 25, 2021

Went to work at Second Helpings. Got a not-so-great update on Dad. PA called at noon to come to the hospital. Left work for Lebanon.

The birthday cake must have been for Grandma Nora's older brother, William's 26th birthday. Odd that there is no mention of him being there. Youngest sister Gertrude and Nora had singing class at Saint Joesph Catholic Church so I assume that they were talking to the School Sisters of Notre Dame. 

This morning's update from Dad's PA wasn't great. 

  • No improvement over night, they tried to step him down from the BiPap oxygen, but his numbers dropped too low. 
  • The BiPap is not a long-term option, if he doesn't improve, the doctor will talk to us about next steps. 
  • The good news: his urine output is good, which means that those organs are working as they should. 
  • They are continuing with the treatment and holding steady for today. 
  • Everyone is letting him know that we love him and that we and his nieces and nephews are praying for him. 
When I spoke to the PA at 9:00,  she mentioned his continued agitation and restlessness and I offered that we could come and sit with him if we could - COVID-19 restrictions didn't allow for visitors. 

I called George to ask who Dad's Medical Power of Attorney was. Dad had shared his Living Will with everyone and it was on file at the hospital. Dad had also confirmed all of the details with the doc in the ER. Over the years when we asked Dad who is Medical Power of Attorney was he would reply, they'll find out when it's time. We all tried to explain that it's not how it works. 

Anyway, it turns out it's me. 

George emailed me the paperwork and I shared with my siblings. 

The PA called at noon to say that we could come and sit with him in hopes that it would help his agitation. I reached out to my siblings and jumped in the car. 

I'm so grateful to have a job where the CEO give you a hug and tells you not to worry about anything. 

When I got to the hospital they suited me up with an N-95 mask, a medical mask over that, a gown, and gloves. Beth and Jenny were already there. 

Poor papa was so agitated - they had him bundled like a burrito He was picking at his IV and the BiPAP and the leads taped to his chest and everything. I untucked his toes and loosened his blankets and that seemed to help a bit. 

It was clear the he wasn't doing very well. 

On the way to the hospital I was thinking that we were going to help Dad feel less anxious and to give that staff a break...I now saw that we were called to let us spend time with him. 

The PA came to talk to us, and we decided to stay the course of treatment for the next 12 hours. I gave her the Medical Power of Attorney directive. 

The day was sort of a blur. J.R. came, Annie called, Beth stayed. 

I left for a bit to grab something to eat and go to the Farm to check on the cat and to get Dad's mail - he LOVES getting cards - and called Annie. She was able to book a flight for her husband to arrive tomorrow around noon. 

Beth stayed until after midnight and I planned to stay over night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment