Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: May 23, 1914 and May 23, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, May 23, 1914

Got up at 5:15 and went to Mass. Was up to the church this afternoon. Anna and I went up town this evening and over to Hooley's. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday 23. 2021

Went to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for Indy 500 qualifications. The weather was perfect and driver Simona de Silvestro made the field. A nice and relaxing day. 

Grandma Nora didn't get much sleep - she went to bed at 1:30 and was up at 5:15. I hope she got a nap in! Mass this morning and more church activities this afternoon. I wonder if she and her older sister Anna were hat shopping at Hooley's? 

It was a minute decision to go to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the second day of qualification and the Fast Nine competition to determine the pole sitter and order of the first three rows for the Indy 500. 

I truly didn't know much about "the race," as we call it in Indianapolis, until I wrote a 100 day countdown to the 100th running of the Indy 500 in 2016. Researching and writing about the event for 100 days in a row turned me into a fan. And was a great writing exercise. 

The race wasn't open to the public last year and is only at 40% capacity due to the pandemic this year. I was offered a ticket, but I'm letting a young man take it for his first time at the Indy 500. Yesterday I started feeling the tug of the track and I roped Schaun into going with me. 

I'm glad we went - it was fun and not too crowded. I got to see the mostly-woman Paretta Team  make the field of 33 and see Scott Dixon claim the pole. It was a great day in the sunshine. 

With Colton Herta, second fastest qualifier in the 2021 Indy 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment