Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 9, 1914 and January 9, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Friday, January 9, 1914

Got a card from J. Schneider [I think]. Not much doing today. Worked a while on my centerpiece this evening but got so sleepy I had to stop 8:45 P.M. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, January 9, 2021

Worked at both Second Helpings and the Red Key today. Worked on taking down and storing  Christmas porch decorations and managed a quick nap in between. 


I can't wait to find out what the centerpiece is about! I'm not entirely sure that I've transcribed the last name properly. Grandma Nora kept a list of letters received in the back of the journal, but she doesn't start recording them until later in the year. J.'s name didn't pop up on that list either. 



I really enjoyed decorating the porch this year, although I didn't do much inside the house. I purchased the reindeer and Santa sleigh at an auction in Boone County (where I grew up and Dad and my sister, Beth, and her husband still live) this summer. And yes, the Santa next to the inside door is wearing a face mask. 

I've loved how people have done more outdoor decorating this year and have been stretching the season by leaving their lights up later. It is cheery to see them when I leave and come home from work. It's the dreary time of year where the sun rises after 8:00 A.M. and sets around 5:30 P.M. 

I leave the string of lights across the top of the house on all year, changing them seasonally. I'm a fan of the old large C-9 bulbs - this is a newer strand, as much as I love the vintage ones, safety first! 

No comments:

Post a Comment